Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Painted Dining Chairs

I finally did what I've wanted to do for a long time....paint my dining room chairs.  They were a hand-me-down from my parents.  They purchased these (along with the table I use to have before Dad built this amazing one) when they were first married in the early 70's.  While I liked these chairs, I didn't love them.  I've wanted to paint them for awhile now, but didn't have the heart to ask Mama and Daddy if they minded (Daddy is NOT a painted furniture person).  Daddy recently refinished the dining table that these chairs use to match for my sister, so now was the time to ask since they didn't "match" anything any more.  Surprisingly, he said go for it...so I did!  I LOVE these chairs now!
I also finally decided to order some Annie Sloan chalk paint.  I am totally IN LOVE with this paint and have officially jumped on board with everyone else in singing its praises!  I used Old Ochre and finished them with dark wax.
Here's a close up of the chair cushions.  I purchased a linen fabric and painted them to resemble french grain sacks.

{linking up here: french country cottage, miss mustard seed}

6 comments:

Judy said...

wow leigh anne, they don't even look like the same chairs! i have some of my mama's ladderback chairs from her old house when she moved out...they probably need to be painted and i'd love to use the ASCP but just can't justify the price (yet)...but after seeing how yours turned out, maybe i'll order some now!

Sole Searching Mama said...

Wow! They look great! I've heard a lot of great things about A.S. paint. I might have to try it!

Creative Raisins said...

I love it, it gives the space a whole new look. I love Annie Sloan paint

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Great job on the chairs--big improvement!

Anonymous said...

I just picked up my first ASCP also! I'm so excited to start using it today. I love how the ochre and dark wax looks on these chairs. Great transformation! -Angela @ Mrs. White Twig & Tea

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

They turned out lovely~ thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!