Saturday, January 16, 2010

Christmas Card

I thought I'd share our Christmas Card and picture. It was a real challenge to get a good picture of all three at the same time, so I had to get a little inventive a do something different that would get their attention for a few minutes. I stood on a chair above them while they laid in the grass in our back yard. I love this picture because I think it captures their personalities.....Georgie is all smiles and loving being in the spotlight, Daniel, a.k.a "Stone Face" is just looking, like he always does (it takes a lot to get a smile out of him) and then Jack, little shy Jack, with his hands up by his face trying to avoid the camera. Here's a little secret about Jack... I know it looks like he is smiling, but he was actually crying because he didn't want his picture taken and he didn't want to lay in the grass. I guess I just happened to catch him at just the right moment where it looks like he is all grins.
I made our cards again, from scratch, this year. I hope next year I can do the same, but I've come to the realization that I might just have the purchase the dreaded, pre-made, boxed cards. My time is very limited and it was even harder to get these done this year with all the orders I had for paintings. I am going to try real hard to make them again next year, because I do think people still recognize the time and effort it takes to make a hand-made card. The people I send them to are all special to us in different ways, and I want them to know that I took the time to make something with my own hands for them at the most wonderful time of the year, Christmas!!

I also thought I'd share about the Bible verse I used on the card. I always stress about the verse to use. During the year, I'll jot down verses that I like for different reasons, and usually I'll use one of them. This year, none of the ones I had written down seemed just right. My Mamaw (my mom's mom) had given me my great-grandmother's Bible a few years ago at Christmas. It was actually Mamaw's Aunt Ruby's Bible she had gotten at Christmas in 1943. Somewhere along the way, "Other Mamaw" as I called her, had gotten the Bible from Aunt Ruby. I love this Bible. It is all tattered and worn. The front cover is attached with very old tape, the pages are worn and crinkled.....the very way a Bible should be!! I often get this Bible out and look through it because Other Mamaw used it for teaching Sunday School for many years. There are notes, and verses underlined all throughout the Bible. I decided this year I was going to use a verse Other Mamaw had underlined. I had noticed before that she really liked I and II Peter and had many notes in these two books. When I got to the end of II Peter, I read verse 18 in chapter 3, and knew that it was the perfect verse! Beside it she had written "Amen". Anyway, I thought it was special that I had included a little something from Other Mamaw on our card. She died when I was very young, but the memories I have of her are very fond ones. It made me realize how glad and thankful I am that all four of my children's great-grandmothers are still living and that they have been such an important part of their young lives so far!

"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen"

-II Peter 3:18

3 comments:

Lori Mercer said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!! :)

His Jules said...

Awesome!! Enough said - the verse is Awesome and the reasons you used it even more awesome.

Tara Hendrix said...

So sweet, Leigh Anne, and the picture was precious!